Making the most of your Practice
There are many services available to help you to stay healthy. Some of these services can be accessed directly (see below), and for others you need to be registered with a GP Practice (Surgery).
- When you wish to consult a GP about your medical condition, you can contact Headstone Road Surgery via KLINIK with medical information, and we will then arrange for you to be assessed and if necessary come to the surgery to be seen. If you come to the Surgery and do not have an appointment, you may not be seen. The Practice may ask you to come back at another time, or may suggest that you are seen by another Healthcare Professional
- When you see your GP about a medical condition, they may arrange for further tests to be carried out. If so, they will explain the arrangements for these tests and how you will get the results. These tests may be carried out within the Practice or at another medical facility
- If your GP thinks that you need to be seen by a Specialist Doctor or other Healthcare Professional, they will refer you. For most specialties – you cannot make an appointment to see an NHS Specialist without being referred by your GP
- If you require medication that can only be obtained on prescription – the GP will send a prescription through to your pharmacy electronically.
- If the medication the GP has suggested can be purchased over the counter (OTC) – you will be informed of this
- If you have a preference for either a male or a female GP, please request at time of booking – we will try our best to accommodate this but this cannot always be promised – especially for emergency appointments
- If you need to use the Interpreting Service please ask the Receptionist to arrange this when making an appointment, as Interpreters must usually be booked in advance of your visit to your GP. They currently translate over the phone.
- If someone else is contacting the Practice on your behalf, please ensure that you have given them consent to speak to the practice
- You will be treated with courtesy and respect. In turn, we would ask our patients to treat our clinicians and staff as they would expect to be treated themselves.
Help your practice to help you
- When you have an appointment please attend at the time stated, and if you are not able to attend please let the Practice know in advance, so the appointment can be used by someone else who needs it. KEEP IT OR CANCEL IT!
- If you do not attend appointments, the Practice may de-register you. This means that you would stop being a patient of the Practice and you would need to find another GP surgery.
- If more than one member of your family needs to see the Doctor or other Healthcare Professional, please book one appointment per patient
- If you have to discuss a complex medical issue, please let the Receptionist know so a suitable length of appointment can be arranged
- Please notify the Practice if you change your address, telephone/mobile phone number or move out of the area.
- We ask that you treat the doctors and staff with respect and courtesy
Test results take time to reach us, so please allow enough time between test and requesting results – usually 5 days. Any tests taken by hospital specialists will be returned to them so please contact the relevant hospital secretary. Please do not contact Headstone Road Surgery to ask for results of tests that we have not requested.